Sometimes we get stuff in the mail that is too good (well,... Enter Now
Bandgeek!: J. Dilla, Broadway Calls and a Dead Horse Town
So, maybe you won't be with your honey bunny tonight. Maybe you'll be on the couch feeling unloved, drinking a bottle of beer (or wine) and contemplating the latest episode of "Girls" (not that I know what that is). But the weekend is here and you owe it to yourself to get out there and have some fun, darn it.
I'll help. Here's a quick rundown of all this weekend's musical happenings. Let's get it on (er, metaphorically). Let's BANDGEEEEEK!!
- Have your Valentine's Latin style, with the Third Annual Latin Jazz Valentine. W/The little big band music of Rumba 32. At Fulton 55. 7 p.m. $20. (Flier link)
- It's a Valentine's Day jazz hop and Frank's Place has Epiphany Tones and Debi Ruud (with Nate Butler and Silly Love Songs). 8 p.m. Free. All ages. (Flier link)
- For those with friends with benefits, Audie's is the place to be on Valentine's Day. W/the Living Deadbeats (from Vancouver), plus locals Murder Park and Passion Bucket. 9 p.m. 21 and up. (Flier link)
- V is for Valentine's. And Visalia, where you can see the Amy Winehouse tribute Back to Black. At Cellar Door. 9:30 p.m. $8. (Flier link)
- San Francisco's Andre Nickatina brings his brand of underground rap to Fulton 55. 10 p.m. $20. (Flier link)
- Full Circle Brewing Company has alternative rock and metal with Deadkey Mantra, Euphoria and Kinship. 8 p.m. $5. (Flier link)
- Onomuse brings acoustic roots rock and more to Frank's Place. W/Dead Horse Town, Appassionata and Merlinda Espiosa. 8 p.m. $5. (Flier link)
- A well-stocked local rock show at Audie's. W/Not Perfect Humans, White Glove Service, Born Loser, The Brandishers and Werebear. 9 p.m. $5. (Flier link)
- Sound N Vision has the return of Sir Sly (from LA), plus Frank + Derol (which features Miley's half sister) and Miner. At Cellar Door. 9:30 p.m. $5. (Flier link)
- A special treats for fans of smooth jazz. The Tower Theatre has saxaphonist Warren Hill. 8 p.m. $ 48.50. (Event link)
- The Soulflower Group celebrates the music of J. Dilla with a Dillabration. W/music from 40 Watt Hype, House of Sound, K Pizzle, DJ Marc and OME DJ. At Fulton 55. 8 p.m. $10. (Flier link)
- It's the Fresno Rockabilly Rumble, with The Backwood Wreckers, Cattie Ness and the Revenge, Motel Drive and headliners The Infamous Swanks. At the Babylon. 8 p.m. $10. (Flier link)
- A big one for fans of local metal. Dennis is Dead, Your Hero is Villain, Once an Emperor, To Frame Olympus, The Days Gone and a Witness. At CYC. 6 p.m. $4. (Flier link)
- Kuppajoe has Kieran Strange (Canada by-way-of-England), with Foolish Ways (from SF), Today is Ours (from Porteville) and Fresno's Get up and Go!. 7 p.m. $4 (online) $6, $8. All ages. (Flier link)
- It's tribute night at the Starline. W/Dictators tribute band Manifest Destiny and Mommy's Little Monsters (a tribute to Social Distortion). Plus Stagefrite and Snake Eyes Syndicate. 8 p.m. $10 in advance. (Flier link)
- It's an early show at the Cellar Door w/ local jazz from Zzah. 8 p.m. $5. (Sort-of flier link)
- Religious Appeal presents hardcore, with Broadway Calls, My Iron Lung, Hear the Sirens, Second to Last and Dependence. At the CYC. 6 p.m. $8. All ages. (Flier link)
- Sound N Vision returns to Howie and Sons with an all-ages show, featuring San Diego's Mrs. Magician and Visalia's Evelyn. 9 p.m. $5. (Flier link)
That's what we came up with, but feel free to add your own in the comments or email firstname.lastname@example.org.